The department of Plastic Surgery and Reconstructive Surgery was established on 12th October 1998. The department was founded and established under the leadership of Dr. Rajesh. S. Powar.
The department has four consultants and three M.Ch Residents (Plastic Surgery) at present and one Cleft & Craniofacial Surgery Fellowship PG. since its inception, the department is doing excellent work in the field of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery including Sub specialties like Cleft and Craniofacial Surgery, Microvascular Surgery, Cosmetic Surgery and Burns. Around 20,000 surgical procedures have been performed so far. The Department has a well equipped Operating Theatre, Inpatient and Outpatient Wings and a specialized Burns ward, with its own team of doctors and nurses.
On 14th March 2001, a Memorandum of understanding was signed between “The Smile Train Project” New York and the department of Plastic Surgery, KLES Hospital & MRC, to provide comprehensive, free treatment to Cleft Lip- Palate Patients. The Project began on 1st April 2001. It was one of the first few Hospitals to be recognized in India. Presently, it is one of the biggest centers in the world. So far, more than 8000 surgeries have been performed under this Project. Several research projects are undertaken by the department, especially in the field of Cleft and Craniofacial Surgery.
The department was recognized for Post graduate-training on August 2009. The department was recognized for Fellowship in Cleft and Craniofacial Surgery on July 2008 to till date. 6 M.Ch, Plastic Surgery Residents and 3 Fellows have been trained in the department so far.
The department has a 24 bedded General Ward, in addition to catering to patients admitted in other areas of the hospital like Semi Private, Private Wards, ICUs and those referred from sister departments. From 9th March 2014 a State of Art Burns ICU with 11 beds and Operation Theater and a well equipped Burns Treatment Room has been added to the Department.
The department has conducted various CMEs and Workshops. The Monsoon Cleft convention which was a National Cleft convention was held on 18th and 19th August 2012 and the 14th Annual conference of Indian Society of Cleft Lip, Palate and Craniofacial Anomalies INDOCLEFTCON-2015 was organized by the Department, Dr. Rajesh Powar was the Chairman, Scientific committee held at Goa on 30th April to 03rd May, 2015. On 15th July 2015, Plastic Surgery Day was celebrated by conducting free screening camp for Chronic Wounds and conducted Quiz competition for Undergraduate students. The department also conduct Orientation program for UG students of J N Medical College in the form of Surgical Skills workshop.
Department started on: 12th October 1998.
Features: Surgeries performed in this Department could be grouped into:
Cronio facial Surgery
- Cleft Lip-Palate surgeries
- Orthogenetic surgery
- Post trauma reconstruction of compound fractures
- Post Caner surgery reconstruction
- Congenital defect correction: Hypospadias polydactyl, Syndacly, etc.
- Sex Ressigriment surgery.
- Management of Acute Burns
- Post Burns Deformity correction
- Trauma - Nerve, tendon, vessel repairs
- Tendon transfer for Nerve Palsies
- Replantation surgeries
- Free Tissue Transfers.
- Body contour surgeries
- Breast Reduction and Any mentation
- Facelift, Brow Lift, Blepharoplasty (Blepharoplasty)
- Surgery for Vitiligo
- Performed more than 3000 surgeries since the start of the department
- The Cleft and Craniofacial Centre was inaugurated by Dr. Minis Cohen Head of Department of Plastic Surgery, university of Heinous, Chicago on 11th Jan. 2002
- Performed cosmetic surgeries on may foreign tourists
- Performed the 1st Sex marrigriment surgery in this post of the county on 4th June, 2002
- The Department was recognised by the Smile Train New York to Sparser Cleft Lip - Palate Surgeries
- The KLES Smile Train Project started on 1st April 2001
Dr. Rajesh S. Powar
Chief Consultant MS, M.Ch, DNB
Dr. D. U. Rajput
Associate Professor MS, M.Ch
Dr. Binita Mallapur
Assistant Professor MS, DNB (Plastic Surgery)
Mr. Gangadhar N Sangolli
Public Relation Officer
Dept. of Plastic Surgery
KLES Dr.PK Hospital & MRC, Belagavi
Mob No: 9448309452, 9964811191
Extn no: 0831-2551324