KLES Dr. Prabhakar Kore Hospital & MRC is fully equipped with the most modern technology for performing sutureless cataract surgeries.
- Surgery can be performed manually through 5- 6 mm wounds called SICS (Small Incision Cataract Surgery).
- Phacoemulsification is at present universally accepted as the standard of care for cataract surgery.
- Ultrasound energy is used in phacoemulsification to break up the cataract (emulsify) into microscopic fragments which can be sucked out of the eye.
Options in Intra-ocular Lenses (IOLs)
- The majority of the IOLs implanted are mono-focal. They can focus light rays from one particular distance only. Normally distance objects are clear and one needs glasses for reading.
- Intra ocular lens can be rigid or foldable. Foldable lens will need smaller wounds to insert.
- Multifocal IOLs have different segments built onto the same lens which allows clear distance & near vision with spectacle freedom for most activities.
We have state of the art equipment for performing cataract surgery some of which are:
- Bausch and Lomb Stellaris
- AMO Sovereign Compact Phacoemuslification System
- Alcon Phacoemusification Machine with Viso 120 Zeiss Microscope with CCTV
We are fully equipped to take up complex paediatric surgeries under general anaesthesia. All this is constantly monitored by team of anaesthetists, nurses and supporting staff.
Surgical skill and equipment to deal with complicated cataracts such as
- Post traumatic cataracts
- Displaced cataractous lenses/Intraocular lenses
- Fully equipped cornea clinic treats the patients with all types of corneal problems.
- Laboratory services provide the microbiology backup required for the workup of Infective Keretitis
- All types of contact lenses are fitted to treat the Refractive errors and to provide spectacle free clear vision. Soft contact lenses, Rigid gas permeable (RGP) Contact Lenses and Special Contact Lenses for Keratoconus are also fitted.
- Corneal surgeries like penetrating Keretoplasty, Anterior segment Surface Reconstruction surgeries are carried out
- Carl Ziess Anterior Segment Photography to record all the findings of anterior segment disorders.
Available Instruments in the Department:
Apart from the equipments available for routine evaluation of glaucoma (Applanation tonometer, 3 and 4 mirror gonioscopes, 90 D stereoscopic evaluation of the disc), other specialized equipments include :
- Humphrey visual field analyzer
- Fundus photography unit (for stereoscopic disc photography)
Routine screening for glaucoma patients (Applanation tonometry, gonioscopic angle evaluation, optic disc evaluation with 90 D)
- Visual field analysis
- Gonioscopic and Disc photography
- Management of common and rare glaucoma entities including pediatric glaucoma
Minor OPD procedures:
Nd: YAG peripheral Iridotomy
- External trabeculotomy and/or trabeculectomy
- Combined cataract and glaucoma filtering surgery including phacoemulsification
- Trabeculectomy with use of antimetabolites
- Goniotomy for congenital glaucoma
- Evaluation under anaesthesia for pediatric glaucomas
Fully equipped Glaucoma Clinic offers wide range of Diagnostic and Therapeutic modalities for Glaucoma.
The services offered include :
- Accurate Tonometry instrumentation like Goldman Applanation Tonometer, Schiotz tonometer and Non Contact Tonometer. - To measure the Intraocular pressure.
- Humphrey Perimeter for visual field examination
- Bjerrum Screen for Visual field examination
- Fundus Photography for optic disc documentation by color and Red free photographs.
- Nd-Yag Laser facility for Yag Laser Iridotomy.
- Glaucoma Surgeries like Trabeculectomy and combined procedure of Cataract Surgery and Trabeculectomy.
- Cyclodestructive procedures like Cyclocryopexy and Trans sclerel cyclo photo coagulation.
The Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus Service provides comprehensive primary care for the diagnosis and management of infant and child vision and common childhood vision disorders. It also performs surgery to correct ocular misalignment and double vision in children and adults.
Instruments and facilities available
- Visual acuity screening systems applicable to all age groups, pre verbal and preschool inclusive [Teller acuity charts, Sheridan Gardiner charts; HOTV charts; Lea symbol charts, Optokinetic drum].
- Stereoacuity charts (Titmus Fly test, Random dot test, Lang’s test).
- Synoptophore with motorized stand
- Paediatric Slit Lamp with Chair Unit
- Prism bars, Placido disc, Diplopia goggles, Maddox Rod, Maddox wing
- ROP Screening
- Squint evaluation
Instruments & facilities available
- Indirect Ophthalmoscope
- Fundus Photography
- Fundus Fluorescein Angiography
- Green Laser Unit
- B Scan Unit
- Vitreo retinal Surgical Unit
- Laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy
- Intra vitreal injections
- Retinal detachment surgeries