Department is functioning from the inception of the college. It is one of the major clinical departments imparting training in General surgery to undergraduate/post graduate students.
- PG's course started from academic year 1979. Endoscopy facility introduced in the year 1983. Laproscopy in the year 1992.
- Conducting CME's in various surgical aspects like colopractology, Burns Laproscopic Surgery, Stapler's, Basic surgical skills, stoma care etc.
- Conducted two state level KSC/ASI conferences in March 1987 & Feb 2000 and Regional Triangular surgical update in 2002 for states of Goa, Maharastra & Karnataka .
- Organising guest lectures by visiting faculty.
- Participation in various health checkup programs.
- At present has 6 units in KLESH & MRC and three units in District hospital Belgaum, with 7 professors, 6 associate professors, 4 assistants, 2 lecturers & 27 residents.
- Dept. has taken up several research activities
- Faculty members have presented research papers in state level, National, International Levels.
- Published papers in journals.
- Types of investigations / Tests
- Endoscopic, Diagnostic & therapeutic like basketing, Stenting, Sclerotherapy, banding, glue injection and biopsy in both upper GI Scopy & Colonoscopy.
- Diagnostic Laproscopy
Types of surgeries
- GI Surgeries
- Oral Lesions
- Ischemic Limb
- Coloproctological Procedures
- Contracture Release
- Hand Surgeries
- Accident Trauma Management
Achievements of the department
Secured gold medals from Karnataka University Dharwad & Rajiv Gandhi UHS, Bangalore. both at under graduate & post-graduate examinations.
Performance of Undergraduate and Postgraduate students at examination results have been consistently good.
As parent department, it was instrumental in the establishment of super speciality & sub speciality branches in KLESH & MRC like Neurosurgery, Urology, Pediatric Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Accident & Trauma facility etc.
List of Consultants & Staff
- Dr.Pushpa Satishkumar
- Dr.Prashant Hombal
- Dr. Himanshu Agarwal
- Dr.Manoj Togale
- Dr. A.P. Bellad
- Dr.Savita K.S
- Dr.Rahul Kenawadekar
- Dr. S.N. Halabhavi